Before you start looking for a home in Colorado, you must consider the type of life you want. Your answers to the questions below will help make sure that your real estate decisions and the home you buy will match the life you’ve dreamed about.
Dig Deeper When Looking For a Home in Colorado
When looking for a home in Colorado, you must ask yourself questions that dig deeper than “how many bedrooms do you want in a home.” Questions that delve into detailed aspects of your needs and desires allow you to think carefully about what you want in this new chapter in your life. Honest self-analysis at the start of your home-buying journey will put you on the right path to making a home purchase suitable for your lifestyle and budget.
Timing is everything.
- How long do you plan on living in this home?
- What plans do you have during that time, and how will these plans affect your home needs?
- Do you need space for children or a growing family?
- What is your ideal time frame for purchasing a home? Do you have a specific deadline? Are you willing to wait longer for an ideal market?
What aspects of your daily life are most important to you?
- How much time do you spend in your home?
- Do you entertain guests in your home?
- Is having a garage or easy parking important?
- When and where do you feel the happiest and most engaged during your day?
- What about your current home frustrates you most?
What are your personal goals, and how will these impact your home needs and budget?
- Do you expect your financial situation to change at any point?
- Do you wish to work from home or start your own business? Will you need space for an office or equipment?
- Would you prefer to spend less on the house to save more money for hobbies or travel?
Where you live will affect everything about your lifestyle – from neighborhood conveniences to the types of homes available.
- Do you consider yourself a “location person” or a “house person”? Do you get more excited about your house’s local amenities or features?
- What is your ideal location and why?
- Where do you commute to, and what is your preferred method of transportation? Would you prefer a longer commute to a home with more space? Would you rather live in a smaller house in an urban community?
- Are schools in the neighborhood a factor?
- Do you need lots of nature and green space?
- Do you love to garden or want a large backyard for children or pets?
Think about the aspects of your present living situation that drive you crazy. Make a list of your absolute deal breakers. When you start looking for a home in Colorado, it’ll be easier to weed out the duds if you’ve thought this through. In addition to your list of dealbreakers, make a note of the things you can’t imagine living without.
Establishing your needs and desires is easier said than done. Don’t rush into anything, and try to enjoy the process. If you’re having a difficult time answering any of these questions, I would be happy to help. Let’s find a time to chat, and we can get started with your home-buying journey.
I'm Lauren Haug! I'm a teacher-turned-real estate agent, and I teach people how to build wealth through real estate in Northern Colorado.
schedule your free consultation