If you live in Colorado, chance are, you enjoy the great outdoors. Just because it’s winter, doesn’t mean you have to stay inside. Today, we’re talking about some of NoCo’s best winter activities. As an added bonus, scroll to the bottom to learn about a ski hill close to town!
Take a Hike
Colorado has 300 days of sunshine per year. That means, winter hiking is all the rage. Check out some of these NoCo trails that are sure to be fun come snow or shine. Added outdoor fun – bring your snow shoes or cross country skis when the snow is high!
- Devil’s Backbone – Great for horse back riding, mountain biking, or a leisurely hike.
- Bobcat Ridge – Stroller friendly (except when icy). Hike up to the cabin to enjoy a picnic on a sunny winter day. Keep in mind, this hike is NOT dog friendly.
- Rocky Mountain National Park – Enjoy the scenery on the drive up to Estes Park. Keep your eyes out for any wild life that might still be around during winter. It’s not uncommon to see elk this time of year!
Lace up your running shoes! There are several running clubs in Northern Colorado that meet throughout the winter.
- Sweetheart City Racing – Gear up for the new year by training for the Loveland Sweetheart Classic. Meet up with other Sweetheart City racers on Thursday nights for runs from local breweries.
- Fort Collins Running Club has several group runs scheduled each week. You can even join a 0-5k club, or train to run the Horsetooth Half Marathon!
Skiing Close to Northern Colorado
So, you want to hit the slopes, but you’re short on time? Never fear! While Northern Colorado doesn’t have it’s own ski range, there’s a little known ski hill close to town: Snowy Range! Take a quick drive to Wyoming to find this little gem. And then check out Cheyenne on your way home for some pizza and a craft brew.
What do you think qualify at NoCo’s Best Winter Activities? Tell me how you like to get outside during our Colorado winters!